Students are required to attend school for 190 days each year.
The Tile Cross Academy target for individual student attendance in school is 96%.
If a student is ill:
- Please contact the school on 0121 566 6400 should your child be too unwell to attend school.
- You should do this by 8.30am on the first day of absence and every day thereafter until your child returns to school.
- A supporting note explaining your child’s absence should be brought in and handed to their Form Tutor on their return.
- There may be a very good reason for absence from school for example genuine illness and other medical issues, however there are many other reasons that cause students to have time off from school. If there are any reasons which are causing your child to not attend school regularly please do not hesitate to contact Mr Stylianou our Safeguarding Officer, who can offer support to your child to improve their school life and attendance.
Medical Appointments (e.g. Doctor, Dentist & Optician)
- Please attempt to make any appointment for dentist, optician and doctors outside of school hours. If a school time appointment is unavoidable please ensure that your child attends school before/after the appointment. Medical evidence should be provided for all appointments.
Holidays / Leave of absence
- The reference in law to Head teachers being able , at their discretion, to agree to leave of absence (for holidays) was removed from 1st September 2013. Only in exceptional circumstances are schools allowed to authorise leave of absence. In exceptional circumstances, a request for leave of absence should be returned to our Attendance Clerk, Miss Tanya Parkes. If the application is not considered as one of exceptional circumstances the request will be refused. If the family still embark on the requested leave, the absence will be recorded as unauthorised. Unauthorised absence will be followed up as per the attendance legislation section in the School’s Attendance Policy and will be referred for legal proceedings
Persistent absent students
- The Government and Local Authority view school attendance regularly and whether authorised or unauthorised if a student’s attendance drops below 90% they become classified as a Persistent Absent (PA) student. If a student becomes a PA student, Tile Cross Academy may take legal action through dependant on the reasons for absence.
In such circumstances, a note or call from parents stating absence due to illness will no longer suffice and further absences will be recorded as unauthorised.
- Regular and punctual attendance of students at school is both a legal requirement and crucial to a student’s success – there is a clear link between a high rate of attendance and high achievement.
- Statistics show missing 8.5 days (17 sessions) of school in any school year can reduce the success level of a student by 1 GCSE grade.
- Parents and carers need to refer to the local authority letter regarding the legal aspects of attendance.