Point in Year
Unit of Work Title
Mid-term and Final Assessments
Fresh Start Intervention
Ruth Miskin Inc. RWI Fresh Start Phonics
Pupils are regularly assessed and placed at an appropriate starting module to their knowledge of phonics.
- Phonemes and graphemes
- Single syllable/ multisyllabic words
- Root words and suffixes
- Blending words
- Reading words on sight
- Understanding words in context
- Build towards accurate and fluent reading.
- Vocabulary building
- Grammar practice
- Retrieval and inference questions
- Planning and note taking
- Editing and redrafting
Midterm Assessment – Each child is assessed throughout the module through reading on sight and spellings. Comprehension is tested weekly and at the end of each module the children complete a writing task based on the story they have read.
End Assessment – The children will complete the Fresh Start assessment as well as a reading comprehension test.
Guided Reading Intervention
Understanding and comprehension skills.
- Contextual knowledge relating to the text
- How a text is structured
- Knowing writer’s purpose
- Understanding words in context.
- Retrieval skills
- Writer’s use of language for effect – word choice
- Applying knowledge to inference in the text
- Reading for meaning,
Midterm Assessment – Each child is assessed at the end of each half term through suitably challenging reading tests.
End Assessment – The children will complete a KS2 reading assessment.