BTEC FIRST CERTIFICATE IN CHILDREN’S PLAY, LEARNING AND DEVELOPMENT
AN INTRODUCTION TO THE COURSE
This is a practical work-related course. You learn by completing projects and assignments that are based on realistic workplace situations, activities and demands. You will need to display a positive attitude to learning and have a genuine interest in working with children.
Related work experience is a vital part of this course. Having completed this vocational course, you may later wish to progress to a higher level qualification relevant to this sector.
WHAT THE COURSE INVOLVES
All students will take the three core units:
- Unit 1 Patterns of Development (External Assessment)
- Unit 2 Promoting Children’s Development through play
- Unit 3 Principles of Early Year’s Practice
Those taking the certificate will also study:
- Unit 4 Promoting Positive Behaviour (External Assessment)
- Unit 5 Health & Safety
- Unit 7 Making Healthy Food Choices
- Unit 8 Working in Early Years
HOW THE COURSE IS ASSESSED
All units are assessed and graded and an overall grade for the qualification is awarded.
Successful achievement of units will result in either a Pass, Merit or Distinction qualification (equivalent to GCSE as follows). Double award is equivalent to two GCSE grades.