VOCATIONAL – FOOD & COOKERY
WHY STUDY FOOD?
- It’s a course for those interested in pursuing a career in the Catering industry.
- It provides a sound foundation for GCE A Levels and further education courses.
WHAT WILL I LEARN?
- Working with a range of ingredients, developing cooking skills and use of kitchen equipment.
- Learning about foods from different cultures.
- In depth knowledge of food safety, hygiene and risk assessments in the kitchen.
- Learning about the hospitality industry.
HOW WILL I BE TAUGHT?
- Doing practical work; making several different dishes (some that you will perhaps not like yourself but that are necessary) and using advanced cooking methods
- Completing portfolio of evidence using ICT skills
- Planning and hosting events within the school.
- Working individually and as part of a team
- Assessment is by both examination and coursework.
HOW WILL I BE ASSESSED?
- Examination – There will be 1 written examination in the final year
- Controlled Assessment – The controlled coursework will be completed within the three year period
WHERE CAN THIS SUBJECT TAKE ME?
- The specification offers a unique opportunity for candidates to develop knowledge and extend their skills within catering in a vocational context. It is a suitable qualification for those who want a broad background in this area and for those who wish to progress to further education. It will offer valuable preparation for those entering the world of work. The specification encourages the investigation and study of catering in a variety of contexts using a range of assessment techniques to enable the candidate to respond through practical and investigative work. This course can set the foundation for you to continue studies at Sixth Form or College in Catering. It can also create a basis for you to pursue a career within the Catering Industry straight from school and perhaps even open up possibilities of further training.